Twitter

Friday, August 10, 2012

Keep Going

Preface

Wow. It has been two years since my last blog post here. I'd normally make some excuses about how some negative event(s) in my life has prevented me from working on this, but it's actually a negative event that's motivated me to return here for some more cyberpunk blogging. On the grand scheme of things, it's a minor event (nobody died, no one was injured, no one became ill) so I'll leave the details out. This blog is so far removed from what happened, it's going to serve as a little escapism therapy for me (lucky you!).


Moving On

As you may know, my goal with this blog is to cover as many topics as I could conjure up regarding the increased cyberization of every aspect of our lives - or should I say ourselves - in a logical order, while citing historic and modern examples. There have no doubt been many changes since my last post in the realm of artificial intelligence, robotics, prosthetics, cybernetics, and personal computing &communication, so expect to feel a sort of gap between the tone of prior posts and those from here on out.

So, if you're reading this, check back in a few hours, or maybe a day. As soon as this post goes up, I'm going to finish up the next one, continuing in the same order I had established prior to this.

In the mean time, I'm going to leave you with some things to check out to maybe, kind of, fill the gap that I had left two years ago.





Crucial Etcetera

Okay here's another example of man and machine coming together. His replacement eye, in the most severe definition, cannot be called cybernetic. There is no flow of information from Mr. Spence to his artificial eye, nor does information flow from the replacement eye to Mr. Spence. Still, though, I thought this would be worth mentioning.

Deus Ex: The Eyeborg Documentary



However, if you'd like to see a more proper optically enhanced cyborg, click here:
Restoring sight



Google's Project Glass made waves not too long ago. They've got me excited for a number of reasons, but especially as an aviator, these things have really piqued my interest. If it's not obvious why (aside from the recording aspect), remind me to tell you about ADS-B, and how cybernetics will undoubtedly make its way into aviation.

Live skydiving with Google's glasses - CNET News



Finally, there is another blog that I think you should be paying attention to. You may ask yourself  "What is this guy thinking? Isn't he promoting a competitor?" Not at all. On the contrary, Cyborgology has an entirely different tone and feel than CyberPunk-Dawn, and while I think it makes a great companion to my blog, it would ill serve as a replacement, as the two blogs serve up different ideas in different categories - in fact, I see a divergence between the two as to what the definition of a cyborg actually is! That being said, I may myself , time willing, contribute to Cyborgology in the future. In case you missed it, here is the link again:
Cyborgology.  They also have a twitter account, which can be found here: @Cyborgology

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.... I'm off!

Up Next: Our Virtual Telepathy: Battling Closed Shell Syndrome, and Extreme Introverson



EDIT: Holy crap! How could I forget?! Watch this TED talk on the use of robotics in warfare! DO IT!

No comments: